No matter how rigorously you follow the dental care regime, sometimes tooth loss becomes inevitable. Be it a disease, decay or an injury, tooth loss is a common problem among adults. To replace the lost teeth, earlier people used to wear dentures. Then there were some innovative bridges and now the revolutionary denture implants are demanded. It involves a surgical procedure so many are concerned about the dental implant cost. It is a wonderful tooth restoration option and the cost is totally worth it. Read on to know about the benefits and the cost breakdown of dental implants.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are used for replacing one or more missing teeth. The procedure involves an oral surgery where a screw-like structure is fixed to the jaw bone and covered with a custom-shaped dental crown. A lost tooth may affect the way you speak, chew, bite or smile. To regain your lost confidence, dental implants are a wonderful option and are often considered better than its alternatives like dentures and bridges.
Why dental implants are preferred over other tooth restoration procedures?
Dental implants don’t just work on the surface level to mimic the look of a natural tooth, but the screws are inserted into the place of the roots to support the jaw bone structure. It is highly preferred as a permanent tooth restoration option as compared to dentures and bridges because of the following benefits:
- Hassle-free maintenance: Those who wear dentures know how inconvenient it gets to remove them, clean them and use adhesive to keep them securely placed. On the other hand, implants don’t need any maintenance at all. You can brush and floss easily with implants just like you do for your natural teeth. These are permanent and you never ever have to worry about getting them removed for clean-up and touch-ups.
- Long lasting performance: As discussed above implants are a permanent solution. The remarkable functionality of titanium implants inside your mouth can be enjoyed for a lifetime. Tooth decay can also be treated with root canal treatments but that doesn’t guarantee life-long performance. You may have to go back to the dentist for re-root canal treatments after some time. On the other hand, implants are just set-it and forget-it.
- Improved oral hygiene: When you opt for bridges, the dentist will work on the nearby teeth to get a precise and supportive fit. It may make your teeth susceptible to decay over time. On the other hand, the implants procedure works only at the site of the lost teeth and no other teeth are altered which ensures that your oral hygiene is up to the mark.
- Improved functionality: The roots of the lost teeth are replaced with an implant that offers improved support to the jaw bone. It indeed helps in improved functioning. No more worries about slipping dentures or clicking sounds. The permanently fixed implants offer remarkable convenience in eating, chewing, biting and speaking.
- Improved esteem: A missing tooth can impact the way your smile. It may affect your appearance, whereas implants are a wonderful option that needs no maintenance and function just like your natural teeth. You can smile wide open and feel the difference in your improved confidence levels.
What is the success rate of bone grafting for dental implants?
The best dental implants last for a lifetime. Make sure you are getting them from an experienced dentist and following proper care. The success rate for dental implants depends on where the plants are placed. Although, it is a widely preferred and highly recommended option to replace a lost tooth because of the 98% of success rate.
Who can get dental implants?
The surgical procedure involved bone grafting, so your eligibility depends on the factor that you have healthy gums and adequate structure to support the artificial roots between the jawbones. Additionally, the decision to get a dental implant also depends on a precise oral examination, which involves your medical history. Patients suffering from chronic disorders like diabetes and leukaemia may need additional consultation as the healing process may prolong for such conditions.
How much does a dental implant cost for one tooth?
It is a two-phase surgical process, hence your concerns about tooth implant cost are quite obvious. The correct estimate can only be provided by the dentist after assessing the condition. Sometimes, the process also involves tooth extraction and bone grafting, so the cost may vary for every individual. However, for a rough estimate, it can be said that you need to spend at least $1000 for the dental implants procedure for one tooth. The cost may go up with additional treatments and in case you are getting implants for multiple teeth, expect to pay somewhere around $5000. For more guidance on insurance coverage for dental implants, it is best to talk to your dental surgeon.
What should you know about the surgical procedure?
Before you opt for dental implants, you can book a personal consultation session where the patients are educated about the surgical procedure, the aftercare involved and the cost breakdown. The treatment plan may be customized for every individual, however, for a general idea, you can refer to the below points:
- A team of specialists will assess your eligibility for restorative dentistry.
- Next, a titanium root is placed into the bone through oral surgery.
- The anchoring is not at all painful, you will be under the effect of sedatives.
- Up next is the waiting period, where the healing process begins, it lasts for 3 months.
- You have to eat soft and easily chewable food for the first few weeks.
- Then an abutment is placed over the implant and impressions for the new crown are taken.
- The crown is placed over the implant and you are good to go.
Dental implants support the oral structure and offer permanent benefits as compared to other options of restorative dentistry. If you are wondering where can I find affordable dental implants near me, then book an appointment at West Vaughan Dental.