Keeping your smile white is a hot topic these days. The most popular service in cosmetic dentistry has been helping patients look younger and feel better with a whiter, brighter smile. Teeth whitening is one of the fastest ways to see improvement in your smile. Dr. Vageesh Sabharwal helps his Toronto-area patients achieve a great smile with at-home and in-office teeth whitening treatments. These methods of teeth whitening are not only effective, they’re fast and safe.
However, the need for teeth whitening can be avoided, or the time between whitening treatments can be lengthened, by following these tips:
- Brush and floss. While brushing and flossing routines are critical to oral health because they help patients avoid cavities and gum disease, they also keep teeth clean from food particles. When food particles are left on the teeth they can cause discoloration over time. Brushing after every meal is ideal, but if that’s not possible, be sure to get at least two good teeth brushing sessions in each day.
- Drink water. Water has a lot of health and oral health benefits. One of those benefits is that water helps to remove food and other particles from the teeth. Drink water after you consume foods or beverages that are likely to cause staining or discoloration.
- Give up the coffee. Dark beverages such as coffee and tea are common causes of discolored teeth. The particles from the beverages attach to the teeth in the morning and stay there all day, causing staining and discoloration. If you can eliminate the coffee, you will likely see a dramatic improvement in your smile. However, if you need that cup, or several cups, of caffeine to get you going in the morning, try to sip it through a straw so that the dark beverage doesn’t come into contact with your teeth. Or brush your teeth after your coffee. If that’s not possible, rinse your mouth with water to eliminate some of the dark particles.
- Limit red wine intake. Like coffee, red wine is another item that causes staining of the teeth. Follow the same tips as above to avoid having the wine touch your teeth or to remove it as quickly as possible.
- Kick the habit. Smoking is another common factor that causes your teeth to become yellowed. Additionally, the nicotine and tobacco create a perfect environment for bacteria to grow in your mouth. If you smoke, or use smokeless tobacco, try to stop and enjoy greater oral and overall health.
- Visit the dentist. Twice a year checkups with your dentist are important to ensuring that your mouth stays healthy. They give your dentist the opportunity to look for trouble spots and you get a professional cleaning that removes plaque and bacteria that simply cannot be reached at home.
Keeping your mouth healthy and your smile bright is important to Dr. Sabharwal and his team. Call today to schedule an appointment and find out more about how you can get your best smile.